Tuesday, January 6, 2009

To attone for my laziness...

Tuesday, January 6, 2009
Lots and lots of pictures!

Today was my day off, first one since getting the Old Man* dog. Nothing really of note (except for today...more on that later) has happened in the days that I didn't update, so I don't feel too guilty...

The other animals feel that Jack is taking up too much of the lime light and would like to have some. Funny thing is, the only one who really cooperated was Zander:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket
(Cute, no?)

Jimmy is still protesting, but is getting better! The past couple of days he has been coming out and visiting me when I'm at my desk:

Photobucket
(Hey Mom, is the big thing gone yet?)

Photobucket
(Oh my god! Its that friggen dog! ACK!)

But he is still mostly hanging out in his two favorite hiding spots:

Photobucket
(Behind the microwave, on the fridge)

Photobucket
(On my boxes o' crap in the bunny's room)

He also popped into bed with me last night when I was reading (Jack was on the bed too, talk about being brave!), alas...I didn't have my camera handy, and I didn't want to ruin the moment by running to get it.

Max has been uncooperative with the whole picture taking thing (he has changed his mind on Jack, and has taken house under my bed...). So no pictures of my funny eyed** little weirdo in this post.




Jack coming to work with me is still going well. I learned the other night while being bored at home, that if I say "Who/what/where is" coupled with any word, he barks. So I need to train myself not to use those words while at home. At work though, everyone seemed to find my little discovery funny and cute. Ruth especially seemed to like to get him to speak.

Here are some pics of where he hangs out at work:

Photobucket
(Mom, crate=dumb)

Photobucket
(Hi, I'm very handsome.)

Photobucket
(Chuckit time now, please?)


I ended up staying very late at work last night (11pm) due to some plumbing issues...and he was an angel!!! I really couldn't have asked for a better dog!

He got to meet Deb (a local dog groomer/trainer) last night too, and I asked her for some tips on trimming the hair on Jack's feet (to help with snow/ice buildup, and also to give him more traction on my hardwood floors). She gave me some awesome tips and thought he was a great dog, and a fantastic first dog to have. She also thought I did a good job trimming up his nails (hey, I've had lots of practice at work!), and have done a great job (with my rudimentary knowledge...) trimming the undersides of his paws so far. Woo! I just need to take the nails on his back feet down a little more, and then he won't be click-click-clicking on my floor anymore, and will also have better footing because of it. All in good time.

I've decided that I also want to get some stairs so he can get up to my bed easier. It's pretty high up, and I don't like him jumping with his back the way it is. But I also like letting him up with me, but he likes to get down now and again to get some water or whatever, and I really don't feel like helping him up/down each time (fine...I'm lazy, I admit it...). I've looked at some online, and am also thinking about asking someone who regularly volunteers at work if I could hire him to make some. Anybody have any suggestions?

Photobucket
(Hi! I like bedtime!)

Jack also got to meet my amazing landlord Brenda last night (at midnight...we were on a walk, and so was she with her ancient black lab girl, Paige...who is actually younger than Jack...9, but Jack is in much better shape, she even commented on that). She LOVED him! Thought he was quite charming and handsome (well, duh!) and even threw his chuckit for him a few times, which of course made her great in his book. I asked her if everything was still fine now that he was here, and she said she hasn't heard a peep out of him (haha, guess she isn't home when he decides to go barking after the cats...or when I am dumb and say "who/what/where"), and he is absolutely fine, and I need to stop being a worry wort (she knows me too well!). She was even laughing at the fact that I was training him (successfully!) to wait to go pee until we are across the street (so he doesnt pee on the porch, or the lawn), and told me to "let him pee where he wants!!!". Silly landlord...we are going to keep peeing across the street...its good to know though, that if he cant hold it, and stops before we get there, that its ok. I'm really relieved that she liked him (even though she told me countless times that it was ok for me to have him...), it takes a big weight off my shoulders. Tonight I am even going to be brave and leave him crated home alone while I go out to dinner and a birthday party, lets hope he doesn't bark! I'm going to give him a peanut butter and kibble stuffed kong as a peace offering...fingers crossed!

Alright. So, for today's big adventure. I was planning on going for a big walk today, but decided against it, because the snow is in its weird snowball forming phase. So since his booties are still not here, I decided to forgo that and play out back of my apartment. There is a nice big back yard which is (seemingly) perfect for throwing the chuckit around. Things started out great:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


But, then my true talent came through...completely sucking at throwing:

Photobucket
(Weren't you just telling me not to go pee over here?)

Photobucket
(There are things stuck to me now...)

It got so bad that I did this:

Photobucket
(Look inside my nicely drawn red circle...shape...thing)

That would be the chuckit...which I managed to throw over the Big Wall out back...which is a good ten foot tall rock wall. Thank god Jack listens so well and didn't jump to go get it!!!

So, since we are supposed to get more snow (great...), I couldn't leave it there and get it at a later date (that, and I don't think Jack would have ever forgiven me if I did that). So we went bushwhacking:

Photobucket
(Found the end of the Big Wall, and what looked like animal tracks (not Jack's) going down, so I assumed it was safe)

Photobucket
(My trusty dog, watching to make sure I didn't fall down and die... In reality I had him in a stay, I wanted to make sure it was safe before I let the Old Man down there...)

Photobucket
(Oh look! The Big Wall!)

Photobucket
(Once I knew neither of us were at any risk of death, I let Jack come down with me (much to his chagrin!)

Photobucket
(Bushwhacking is fun Mom!)

Photobucket
(Oh my God! YAY! Chuckit is alive!)

Jack swiftly recovered the Chuckit once he saw it, and then seemed to know that the adventure was over, and beat me back up to the back yard...

Photobucket
(Mom, hurry up...you're too slow)

Photobucket
(What do ya mean, "Stickonmyface"?)

Photobucket
(Yay!)

And then we went inside, because we were both cold and thirsty.

Once inside, I discovered these:

Photobucket
(Stop it Mommm!)

He however, really was very good about me combing those out...stupid stickers:

Photobucket

And thats it for today, more soon!



* Did you know Jack is somewhere between 12 and 13??? He sure doesn't look it, does he?

** Max has what is called Eyelid Agenesis. Basically, his upper eyelids weren't fully formed. To help with this he gets ointment in them everyday to keep his eyes from getting dry. If you would like to see a close up of what this looks like on Max, click here and here, but please be warned its not pretty...not gross, but not pretty. His eyesight is fine, by the way :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
Design by Pocket