Sunday, January 11, 2009

I am a horrible...

Sunday, January 11, 2009
Daughter/niece/friend/blogger. Sorry about the lack of an entry over the past few days, I've been pretty busy. I also haven't been bringing my camera outside with me because its been below zero, which makes my camera angry to say the least.

So, as I said, its been pretty cold. One day in particular was around 16 below zero. That is wayyy too cold, thank you very much. Jack agrees. Jack however, does not agree with what I put on his feet that morning:

Photobucket

Yup. Those would be socks. Of course it was that cold the day before Jack's booties arrived. So because I bring him to work with me, which is about a mile long walk, Jack needed something on his feet. So some old socks, bag balm on his pads and a little duct tape made up those little numbers. They worked like a charm, and only started to come off right before we walked into the door at work. Jack didn't think they were quite in fashion, but he just had to deal. He was very good about me putting them on, and even good about me rubbing some bag balm on his pads.

Photobucket
(Hey Mom, these are stupid...and no, I will not sit still for you to take a photo of me in them either)

Happily enough, his booties came in that day while I was at work, so no more ghetto sock booties for Jack! Here are his new duds:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

They stay on great, Jack doesn't mind having them on, keep his feet warm(er), protect them from sharp ice and also buildup of ice and snow between his pads, which can be very painful. I am 100% happy with these booties, and if you are interested in where I ordered them from (very cheaply too!) it was dogbooties.com. A big thank you to Deb for suggesting them, and helping me figure out which ones to get!

Photobucket
(Thanks Deb!)



Jack officially became mine as of Friday! According to New York State that is. I licensed him in my name:

Photobucket
(Shiny new tag, yay!)

And speaking of tags, I also ordered Jack a new name tag:



(The paw print one)

It's from Luckypet.com. Snowy has the heart one. That company is great, very quick. We got Snowy's tag about five days after we mailed out the check. I'm thinking it will be even quicker this time because I did it online. I also think I am going to get Jack microchipped this coming week too, although I haven't made up my mind. At work I preach the benefits of microchipping to people who don't know what it is or are skeptical, but then I think about Jack's age, and the fact that I am 98% sure that he would never ever go away from me when we are outside together...I'm not sure I want to do that to him. We'll see.

Jack also had a mini tooth scraping today. We had a great vet in that all the staff loves. She is young, nice and strongly believes in spaying and neutering (which makes us happy!). She was in to spay a female beagle mix we have. She hadn't met Jack yet and when she did, she noticed he had a bunch of tarter built up on his (remaining) teeth. She asked if I wanted to have her scrape some off. I said sure! Jack was pretty wimpy though, and Stacey only got a little off, but hey, every little bit helps right? I see a real tooth cleaning in Jack's (very near) future...his breath could kill! Does anyone know anything about this product?

Also, when I got home from work the other night, there was a bag on my door handle. My wonderful landlord gave Jack some gifts!

Photobucket
(I like my new toys!!! Thanks Brenda!)

This would have to be my favorite out of the (very large) bunch of toys in the bag:

Photobucket

Apparently Paige (her very old Lab) only plays with rope toys, and she had gotten lots of toys for Christmas that were being ignored...so Jack got them! Yay!

Jack is very grateful and happy with his new toys, but I still don't think that he has forgiven me for losing his beloved chuckit. Maybe out of this new batch he will find a new favorite, fingers crossed!


Alright, that's it from me tonight. Jack and I are both pooped. Off to bed we go!





P.S.: To leave a comment on an entry, click the little thought bubble near the title of each post, then go down and type up your comment, and where it asks you "comment as" select anonymous (for those of you who don't have a blogger account). But please let me know in your comment who you are :) Hope that helps with any confusions anyone is having!

5 comments:

  1. There is nothing that will clean his teeth like giving him a raw beef rib bone a couple of times a week. My 11-year-old still eats them with no trouble and all my dogs have perfect, pearly white teeth. You don't need to move to an all-raw diet to enjoy this one great advantage of a raw diet.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jenn, I am loving your blog. It's pretty cool that Jack is behaving himself (that's what it sounds like), esp. with the cats and bunny. You have a busy apt.! We lost our dog (Moose, 6 yrs. old)at the end of Sept., and I'm keeping my eye on a couple of shelters. In the meantime, I'll enjoy your adventures with Jack! :-) Love, Jill (Bauer)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey Jenn, enjoy reading about Jacks adventures and thanks for the heads up about the booties. I'll have to find some stylish ones for Freya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn -- I feed them frozen as it reduces the mess. Thawed is fine too of course, just bloodier. I usually feed them in crates or outside. Might take him a while to catch on if he's never had bones before so you might want to go with thawed first so it smells super tasty after. After they know what's up frozen is fine.

    BTW I prefer rib bones to marrow bones because the dogs can get them right back into their molars.

    Let me know how it works out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. More on bones -- If a dog has strong jaws he/she will be able to chew down and eat a whole rib bone. Both of our boys can do it, but our girls cannot. Splinters are only a problem with cooked bones -- the worst thing I have ever seen happen with a raw bone is the dog swallowing a piece that's too big and hurling it back up sometime later in the day. This can't even happen with ribs bones unless they chew them right down.

    oregonsunshine said it right on my blog -- dogs aren't too far removed from their wild ancestors (who can chew through most bones except the femurs).

    ReplyDelete

 
Design by Pocket